The Basilisk Lizard

The Brown Basilisk is one of the species of basilisk lizards, also nicknamed the 'Jesus Christ lizard'
Not to be confused with the alternative rock band named The Jesus Lizard, whose music, in my opinion, is passable until somebody attempts to sing...not quite my type of music I'm afraid. 


Also not to be confused with the so called Basiliscus amoratus, a made up lizard from the Jurassic Park novel. Dr. Martin "Marty" Guitierrez from the novel misidentified a Procompsognathus as this fabricated lizard. Personally I don't see the resemblance.   

A Procompsognathus or "Compy" to those who have read the book,
which I must admit I have not nor have I seen the movie, the premise just freaks me out...

This little basilisk lizard is not quite so terrifying as the Harry Potter version.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets movie, 2002

Nor is it very much like the mythical basilisk, which is described as a small venomous snake with lethal eyes whose weakness is the smell of weasel. 
A depiction of the mythical basilisk, it always seems to have legs and sometimes has wings.
I'm not sure about you but this is certainly not what I pictured, it doesn't quite invoke the same sense of fear. 

Back to the topic at hand, some species of the Basiliscus genus of lizards are known for their ability to run on water, allowing them to gain the nickname 'The Jesus Christ Lizard.' Their genus name is derived from the Greek word for "little king." The long crests down its back are reminiscent of those found on some dinosaur species.
The Spinosaurus...nasty looking isn't it?

There are four species of basilisk lizard, the common basilisk,  the striped or brown basilisk, the green basilisk, and the western basilisk. These lizards are best known for their ability to run on water, which usually occurs when threatened or hunting.

 In general these lizards can grow be as large as 2.5 feet long, but most of that length is from their long tails. These tails can make up over 70% of their total body length.



A plumed, or green, basilisk. Look at that tail!
 Some juveniles can run on water for about 10 to 20 meters before sinking, larger lizards can only run for a few meters at a time due to their increased weight. They can reach speeds up to 1.5 meters per second (about 3 mph) on water and faster than that on land. Basilisk lizards are also very good swimmers and climbers, and have been known to stay underwater for half an hour.


The basilisk can run up on two legs, as a number of other lizard species are capable of doing. The webbing on their feet allows for more surface area and when they slap their feet on the water it creates a pocket of air around their feet that keeps them from sinking.



Another plumed/green basilisk.
There's really no reason for this picture but he is just so gorgeous I couldn't resist.
Beautifully plumed male green basilisk.
His eyes are amazing.
A female green basilisk, note the absence of a prominent plum.
Just looking at that expression you can instantly tell she's female .
What a stance. It may just be me but I find her captivating.

I think the green basilisk is my favorite, they're just so vibrantly colored and their eyes pop. I get shivers just looking at them they're so cool. Seeing these guys in really life is definitely going on my bucket list.


If you want to see more of this lizard check out this video, but be warned it is a little goofy. 

For other things that travel on water (beyond the boring stuff that floats i.e. boats, birds, hydroplanes, etc.)

Cars (for the real action go to minute 3:20) I do adore Richard Hammond, I simply couldn't help myself.


Insects (water striders) Some truly amazing video, and strangely enough also involving Richard Hammond again.


And last but in no way least...ninjas (yes I went there)

Mizugumo, the water spider (some say it is used like shoes as shown in Mythbusters but I'll stick with the traditional)


Just a reminder, I would love to hear suggestions for a lizard you want to see in here or some other cool biological thing you want to know more about.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that first video is truly amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do they normally live? Have you seen one in a zoo before? They do look really neat and intelligent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They live in southern Mexico to Ecuador. I haven't seen one personally, but the Woodland Park Zoo has a few.

      Delete
  3. That was so interesting! What an awesome animal. Your pictures and videos added so much too.

    ReplyDelete