Another 'Lizard in Society' Update



The Magic School Bus
1994-1997
Liz, the pet sidekick to Miss Frizzle

The Jackson's lizard seems to be the most similar to Liz's design.
As you can probably see by now, entertainers tend to reuse lizard species a lot.


Godzilla
1998
Now before anybody says anything, I am aware that there are a lot of versions of Godzilla and his/her origin story varies widely. However, in this particular movie Godzilla is the result of a nuclear fallout near an iguana's nest.
That said I really liked this movie but it got bad reviews...then again I like just about anything that has Matthew Broderick in it.

So it's kind of hard to decide exactly what kind of lizard Godzilla is suppose to be and it doesn't help at the opening credits for the movie shows multiple species. I went with the marine iguana mostly because they look similar and Godzilla takes a swim in the Hudson River during the movie.


Colin Versus the World

2002
Colin, the only main character lizard I've ever seen in a TV show. Unfortunately only the pilot episode was aired and the show never caught on. I watched it and I'm sad to say that I'm not surprised it ended with episode. See the one and only episode here. By the way, this is the only thing I've ever looked on the internet for pictures of and they just didn't exist.

This is a Wellington green gecko. I really have to idea what kind of lizard Colin might be, but I'm guessing he's a gecko of some kind, because of his sticky tongue but there are really no distinguishing marks so this is my best guess.


GEICO Gecko
 1999-present
I don't believe the GEICO gecko has a name but we all know him. 
I love GEICO commercials, they must have a great PR team. 
And it does make me happy to see a lizard mascot.

The Madagascar giant day gecko. Nobody seems to know what kind of day gecko the GEICO gecko is and it doesn't help that there are 43 species of day geckos.
 I think this is a pretty good approximation. 

3 comments:

  1. The GEICO gecko is a fake, a fake I tell you! He blinks!

    Apparently true gecko species can't blink and only falso gecko species (like the leopard gecko) have actual eyelids instead of those nictitating membrane things . . . or so the people at the zoo told me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the subject of new posts, what about the Kanima from Teen Wolf? I think that counts as a lizard...ish-thing...

    ReplyDelete